Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Brave New World

It's been a long time since my last update to the blog. It's not because I took a break from the game, but rather that I've tackled my toughest challenge yet. I decided to design my own system for map linking and mini-maps. Instead of looking for help and examples in books, forums, or blogs, I sat down with a pen and paper and planned things out myself. It took me quite awhile to come up with answers to all the problems I faced, but I think I ended up with something decent that works and I'm happy with it. I call a collection of maps a "world", hence the title of this post. I needed to make a new editor to create worlds with, but I'm bored to tears with the UI code so I just put together something super ugly but super quick, copying a lot of code from my previous editors. The video below shows Chris' new shark, which I think is super cool, running through our first test world.







Next up on my TODO list is to fix up a few map transition issues and then experiment with the Farseer 2D physics engine to see if I can get it working with our game.

No comments:

Post a Comment