Monday, February 22, 2010

First Videos

Here's a series of videos demoing early versions of our map and character editors, and a game world to play around in. I found decent, practical guides to implementing editors and simple collision from this book written by the guy that won Microsoft's Dream Build Play contest with a game I quite enjoyed playing called "The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai". I basically worked off his ideas and added some of my own features and GUI code to make the editors much easier to use. I recommend the book to anyone interested in getting started in game development. The first video below is showing the basics of the map editor





The next video is me playing around in the game world with the map I just created from the last video





The next video shows off a bit more of the map editor, creating sloped ground to walk on and using different surface types like ice and conveyor belt.





The next video is me playing around in the game world with the map I just updated from the last video





And finally, here's an early version of the character editor used to create the characters you've seen running around in the game world.


No comments:

Post a Comment